If you do not have an iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad, the likely problem is that the iPod has not been enabled for disk use. To enable disk use:
1) Connect your iPod
2) Launch iTunes
3) Click on your iPod's name in the menu bar to the left of the iTunes window (under "Devices")
4) Select the "Summary" tab (or, for some iPods, the "Settings" tab)
5) Look for the "Manually Manage Music" box, under "Options" (you may need to scroll down in the iTunes window to see this).
6) Check the "Manually Manage Music" box.
7) Make sure to hit the "Apply" button, in the bottom right-hand corner of the ITunes window.
8) Restart iRip and your device should now be detected.